19 Jan 2009

Where lies the problem???

I only wanted my city to be as beautiful as it was when the British made it their "Pensioners' Paradise". And I'm bound to do it. However, last weekend was nightmarish for me. I was in the M.G.Road of Malleshwaram for some purchasing. (not the usual shopping. I knew what I needed ;).) The shopkeeper in one of those shops I entered was hell-bent upon distributing plastic bags with an ad like most others, for his shop printed upon it. It was an annoying sight to me. Observing that he was a "Not too old" guy, and would understand the concerns of plastix, I approached him. Just suggested, "Why don't you charge a rupee or two for each plastic bag? It helps reduce plastic garbage". His response shocked me for a while. He said "I don't care how people use/reuse the plastic bags I'm distributing, as long as my business is done". Well, he's thought for his business, and rightly enough. But has he ever thought of his children and the future generations that would live on, in and with plastics?? I tried my best to make him realize this, but he was worried more of his business.
Is it as difficult to touch people's thoughts? It wasn't, atleast for me. Until then.!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment