4 Apr 2009

Recession... no better explanation

Yet again, but after one experience I had with a security guard, this time it was a traffic cop. Now, this time, it is not for me to think if we are worth... rather, this guy made me admire how even such "Jargons" of the "Civilized world" are so simply understood by these"People from the Small Towns" (छोटे शेहेर के लोग as they are commonly known across the बड़े शेहेर के लोग। ).
The beauty of their life makes me admire the छोटे शेहेर way of life. As always, like it's more out of habit (the habit of chattering too much;) ) than something else, I started talking to this guy too. The moment he realized my Engg. background, and that I work for a sw firma, the first thought that hit him was about recession. I was sure it was his first thought, because he took no time in asking how SW engineers made a living with this recession. Now, as I started explaining how less the impact of Recession in India was, and the hype that the media has created, he interrupted me. He said, ಬಿಡಿ ಸಾರ್ ಗೊತ್ತು ಈ Recessionಉ. (Meaning, leave it sir, We know what this recession means, and its menace too...). I thought it's time to close my mouth, and open my ears. so, continued hearing what he was saying...
This is how he explained "Recession" to me...
"There is a situation, where tomatoes cost 40rupees a kilo. wondering about the profit they would make if they grew tomatoes, everyone kicked off with tomato cropping at the same time. Now, a while later, when it was time to harvest, everyone was waiting for a shock. With all the crop harvested at the same time, the market was so full of tomatoes, that it became hard for the farmers to sell it at even 50paise a kilo, and the harvest was going down the gutter. Now, you people are the tomatoes, and all the SW firms, the farmers, who thought you tomatoes would be the best bet in a market so full of vegetables, to make the best profits."
Yes, he was so very simple. The way this छोटे शेहेर का आदमी spoke.. actually, had I been given an explanation like this at the first instance, I would not have taken so long as I actually did, to understand recession. How simple, and practical the lives of these people are. If only... I were from a place like where he was from... Life would have been so simple to understand... and so, would be the meaning of life...
Hats off to the simplicity of these people. Civilized earthlings, learn something from them. Recession would ceretainly not have hit us as hard as it has, had we understood life their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment